Allergen Awareness — Frequently Asked Questions


Organizational Mission

TAP Series® is a leading provider of online food safety courses. Our mission to provide training and certificates through our unique teaching process which allows for a real-time uninterrupted learning experience by using colorful graphics, animations, full motion video, audio and interactive learning exercises. Major university studies show TAP Series® courses are so simple to use that people with virtually no computer experience use them easily. Educators appreciate the TAP Series® exceptional self-paced and self-teaching courses. The quality of these courses qualifies them for course credit while reducing already over-taxed time and facilities at many universities. TAP Series® is an online educational company. We have a 18 year history of providing exceptionally high quality courses and content. Our courses have been taken by Fortune 500 companies, universities, colleges, government, military, and individual students. Our vision is to provide exceptionable high quality learning that is affordable and flexible, while reaching the allergen awareness audience.

Certificate Purpose

The certificate’s program purpose is for the food safety manager to successfully complete the allergen awareness course and examination to obtain an Allergen Awareness Certificate. The course is an Internet based course that teaches the learning objectives of the Illinois law HB 2510.

Condition of Use

As a food worker, you have an important role in allergen awareness. The law requires you to be trained in allergen awareness and to pass a test that shows you understand how to deal with food allergen customers. The certificate denotes that a student has completed the training. A student can communicate that they completed the course with this certificate.


The questions and answers noted in this document reflect the current language of the Allergen Awareness Certificate Law. The Allergen Awareness Certificate Law will require training providers to be accredited through the American National Standards Institute (ANSI). This will allow for the approval of additional training providers.

Q: How do I obtain a card?
  1. COURSE: You must take a course (meeting the specifications for courses as outlined in the law).
  2. ASSESSMENT (hereinafter referred to as "test"): You must take a test of 20 questions and pass with a score of 70 percent or higher. There are several providers who may offer the course. However, the test and allergen awareness certificate must be issued from a certification organization that is accredited by the American National Standards Instituted.
Q: Is my allergen awareness certificate valid anywhere in the state?

An Allergen Awareness Certificate is valid throughout the state. Consult with the local enforcement agencies to obtain information on their local allergen awareness programs and requirements.

Q: I have an allergen awareness certificate issued from another state. Are allergen awareness certificates from other states compliant with the Allergen Awareness Certificate Law?

Other state’s allergen awareness certificates are not valid in state.

Q: I am a restaurant manager and have a valid Manager’s Food Safety Certification pursuant to existing state law. Do I need an allergen awareness certificate?

Yes, All Food Safety Manager’s in the state must have an Allergen Awareness card.

Q: I’m interested in working in the restaurant business but don’t have an allergen awareness certificate yet. Do I need to obtain one prior to employment in a restaurant?

You must obtain an allergen awareness certificate within 30 days of hire.

Q: Is my employer responsible for paying for my allergen awareness certificate course and test under the new law?

No. The Allergen Awareness Certificate Law does not require employers to pay for the allergen awareness course and test. The Allergen Awareness certificate is the property of the restaurant employee, which allows the employee to change jobs without having to obtain a new allergen awareness certificate.

Q: I just obtained a food handler card for my current restaurant employer. However, what if I get a new job in another restaurant, do I need to take the test again?

No. A food handler card is issued to the individual food handler and can be used wherever the food handler works, whether it is a new restaurant or multiple restaurants concurrently. The only exception would be counties with pre-existing local food handler programs. Consult with the local enforcement agencies in each county to obtain information on their local food handler programs and requirements.

Q: How quickly will I get my certificate of completion?

Once you finish your course and pass any required exams, you can print your certificate of completion right away.

Q: What can I do if I lose my certificate of completion?

If you lose your certificate of completion and need a new one, go to and click on Print Certificate

Q: Who wrote the content for your course?

The content for course was written by a PHD in Education with collaboration of a subject matter team from industry, academic, and regulatory. Over time, we have updated the content with the help of restaurant and food industry experts, as well as individuals involved in higher education.

Q: What are the system requirements for the course?

You can find more information about the system requirements for our course in our knowledge base.

Q: Can I test out of the course?

No, the law states the training is required every three years.

Click here to read about Allergen Awareness Course Results and Appeals.

Copyright ©2024 TAP Series, LLC